Thursday, November 4, 2010

Her Tribe Has Vanished - a poem

Following is a poem which is written on a wall hanging in the old Durack Homestead, at Lake Argyle, near Kununurra, in the Kimberley region of WA. I don't know who wrote it, but Paul & I feel the same about the poem; we feel it speaks volumes about the many Aboriginal people of this land, who have 'vanished'.
Her tribe has vanished' her daughters & sons
all her people are under the sand
nothing to prove that she'd ever lived
but the faint outline of a stencilled hand
in earth red ochre or charcoal line
so may caves with the same mute sign
trace the shape with a pensive finger
why do I linger?
an ancient sadness chills this place
that's why I stop & pause
dark sister without name or face
I place my hand on yours
the long unmeasured years between us
too late - too late for meeting
but in the quiet forsaken cave
hand touch in greeting.
END
"I touch my hand to yours, as well, my long departed Sister" - Selma Janet 

No comments:

Post a Comment