Sunday, January 2, 2011

Darwin - Litchfield Park, NT (13 - 29 August, 2010)

After leaving Jabiru we drove down the Arnhem Highway to Darwin, the main reason we were going there was to see our finds Chris and Tanya. It was terrific to see them again, and Tanya looked so good, we had dinner with them that night at the bistro in the caravan park.

Saturday, Bucko and I had a few errands to run, the main one being to have the prescription for my glasses filled. I had my eyes tested in Alice Springs and when I was told it would take 10 -14 days (because the script would go to Melbourne); I decided to have them done in Darwin. Ha, ha, not a good idea, this time the script went to Brisbane, and was going to take 10 -14 days again! In the end, it only took 7 days. Now, I can see properly, as well as having two sets for the for the price of one. Our next stop was the very popular Parap Markets, to buy fruit and veg, while there I also bought myself a cool, (in looks and comfort), tied died dress.

While in Darwin we also decide to have the Air Con for the van serviced, it had been working very well in the heat, but, as we knew there would be plenty of long hot days ahead, we wanted to make sure all would be ok.

One of our day trips was to the Litchfield NP, where the Magnetic Termite mounds are and they look nothing like the ones we saw up in Kakadu, these mounds are a greyish colour and are aligned North/South to help keep them cool. A fence surrounds the mounds and we were unable to get close to any of them. However, I am fortunate to have a good camera and I was able to zoom in for the shot below. Notice the ragged top? This is an active termite mound. If the termites have left the nest for some reason, the mound starts to deteriorate. Don't they remind you of a set of tombstones?

Wangi Falls in Litchfield National Park, is one of the few falls that have water flowing during the dry season of the Northern territory, a very popular place to go on a stinking hot day.

How about the photos of 'The Lost City', rock formations you would swear had been man-made, and the one on the right looks like a Camel.

No comments:

Post a Comment